SB ORDER NO. 03/2011
Government of India
Ministry of Communications & IT
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
All Heads of Circles/Regions
Addl. Director General, APS, New Delhi.
Subject:- Appointment of agents and other agency functions – fresh instructions issued by MOF(DEA) regarding.
Sir / Madam,
The undersigned is directed to say that Min. of Finance (DEA) vide letter no. F.1/29/2010-NS.II dated 31.12.2010 has issued some instructions regarding appointment of agents and other agency functions. This office is also receiving some representations from Agents Associations regarding noncooperation by the postal staff and insistence on bringing RD schedules in CD format. All these matters have been considered in this office and fresh guidelines as given below are being issued which shall be applicable from the date of receipt of this letter:-
1. Whenever, it is noticed that in any post office, number of agents attached are more than the business potential which may cause heavy rush in that post office, appointing authority should immediately be informed to change the jurisdiction of some agents to alternative post offices.
2. All Divisional Heads will maintain a record of agents which are found involved in the fraudulent activities and inform the appointing authority immediately for cancellation of the agency. No business from such agents should thereafter be accepted. At the beginning of the year, a negative list containing details of such agents should be circulated to all post offices in the division and to the appointing authority. During the course of the year, any addition/deletion may be made and at the beginning of the next year, the list may be reviewed and issued afresh. If name of any agent whose agency is renewed is found in the negative list, no business from such agent should be accepted and matter should be reported to the appointing authority immediately.
3. SAS Agents were earlier authorized to handle cash up to Rs.50,000/- at a time. Now, this limit has been reduced to Rs.10,000/- at a time. If any depositor wants investment of more than Rs.10,000/- through SAS agent, he has to give cheque to the agent duly crossed and endorsed as per latest rules and procedures. However, the limit of issue of cash receipt books to SAS agents will remain Rs.50,000/- at a time.
4. No SAS/MPKBY/PPF agent shall be permitted to issue cheque from his own account on behalf of any depositor.
5. MOF(DEA) has prescribed a half yearly coordination meeting between District Magistrate and Divisional Head. All Divisional Heads may also take up the issues related to agents, such as, appointment, renewal and fraud cases at District level with appointing authority, whenever such issues arise.
6. The postal staff posted at the counters should co-operate with the agents bringing business. Postmaster should fix separate working hours for the acceptance of business from agents keeping in view the business potential of the office and wherever possible, may identify one full time separate counter for handling business of agents particularly in Head Post Offices.
7. This may kindly be brought to the notice of all post offices and administrative offices.
8. This issues with the approval of DDG(FS).
Kawal Jit Singh)
Assistant Director (SB)